Saturday, September 1, 2012

Let's do the Time Warp ...

Seriously.

It's been 3 months since I posted here? Really?

I have a few excuses, of course: travel to a conference in June. Travel to see family in July. Travel for business in July. Two different sets of house guests in August. Family reunion. Class reunion (planning). And the Paycheck Job.

Yes, the Paycheck Job. Normally this is a ho-hum, I can do this with my eyes closed sort of thing. But in June I was tossed a new project. Then I was tossed another one. Then the deadlines changed from next year to this year to September.

Really?

For anyone who works in the software industry, that shift in deadlines is a snort-worthy moment. Go ahead and change the deadlines, but that means you need to gut the project of features. It's a perpetual tug of war between Suits in Tieland and Grunts in Cubes. Back and forth, back and forth -- this feature is in, this one is out, yes it works that way, no it doesn't.

This is the first time in about 2 years that I've been involved in New Product Development and it's exhausting. Fun, but tiring. So that truly has sucked the life out of me this summer.

Then ... the lawsuit. Yes, she sued us over alleged problems in the house we sold her. I won't go into details here, but that is like a black cloud, hanging over us. Can't spend any money because we may need it to pay her off. Can't move on with our lives because our past is dragging us down.

So I haven't really felt like writing. I'm slowly getting back into it. I'm on chapter 8 of my WIP and my goal is to be done by the end of September. 8 chapters in a month. It's doable but it means I have to get back into my Good Writing Habits and let the bad habits go (no, you can't watch TV now. You haven't written today).

I'll report back in here in a month, if not sooner. And I hope I report that the WIP is DONE, the most recent book is OUT, and a new book is STARTED.

Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment